Name: Dare Art Alade
Birthday: Feb, 9th 1982
Fav Dish: Yam and Fish
Darey also known as Dare Art Alade is a Nigerian award-winning musician and singer-songwriter. He is the son of the renowned Nigerian entertainer, Art Alade. Darey Art Alade was born to legendary Nigerian Jazz pioneer Art Alade and Olapeju Alade. Dare, as a child, used to rummage through his father’s extensive Jazz collection and tag along with him to his concerts. These early experiences gave him his first taste of ‘showbiz’.
Dare honed his skills at an early age, singing with several choirs, including the National Troupe of Nigeria Choir and then the Cathedral Choir. From the age 15, he began performing extensively in clubs around Lagos, Ibadan and other cities in Nigeria. It was during one of those late night sessions he met an executive at Cool FM, a major Radio station, who appreciated his voice, and his ability to interact with his audience. The determined teenager began shuttling between Cool FM and the University of Lagos where he was studying for a degree in Music. During his time at Cool FM, he had the opportunity to acquire the basic knowledge of radio production and marketing. Darey has over almost the past decade been a disc jockey, TV presenter, entertainment consultant, voice over artist and performing/recording artist.
2004-2006: Project Fame
Darey’s big break finally came during the 2004 edition of Project Fame Academy, a well renowned Reality TV show and continent-wide talent hunt, where he had the opportunity to perform in front of over 100 million people, and emerged third in the contest.
2006-2007: From Me 2 U
After an unfruitful record deal with Sony BMG Africa, his debut album ‘From Me 2 U’ hit the Nigerian market two years later on Storm Records. The album was laced with several hit singles, including ‘Fuji’ and ‘Escalade’ which enjoyed massive airplay in the Nigerian and international media. The top selling album also included the song, ‘Original Naija’ which was used as the theme Song for the first ever edition of Big Brother Nigeria. Darey’s album, ‘From Me 2 U’ won several awards including the Awards for Musical excellence in Nigeria (A.M.E.N) and the 2006 Channel O Music Video Awards for best R&B Video in Africa.
2008: MTN Project Fame West Africa
In 2008, Darey spent several months as the host of a music based reality show ‘MTN Project Fame West Africa’ from where he first hit continental fame in the South Africa edition in 2004.
Two years after the release of his successful debut album, Darey released his highly anticipated follow up entitled ‘unDAREYted’, on the new start up label, Soul Muzik. The album sold over 150,000 copies across Nigeria in just two months. The album features appearances by Darey’s contemporaries and friends: Cobhams Asuquo (Asa’s producer), 2face Idibia, Naeto C, 9ice, Tee-Y Mix and the up and coming R&B crooner, Pheel, to mention a few. The critically acclaimed work features the smash hit ballad “Not The Girl,” which has been nominated for several awards and won video of the year at the 2009 Nigerian Entertainment Awards held in Washington DC.
* Best Male Video “Not The Girl” (2009 Channel O Music Video Awards)
* Best R&B Video “Not The Girl” (2009 Channel O Music Video Awards)
* Best R&B “Not The Girl” (2009 Nigerian Music Video Awards)
* Best Use Of Costume “More” (2009 Nigerian Music Video Awards)
* Video Of The Year “More” (2009 Nigerian Music Video Awards)
* Best Music Video Of The Year “Not The Girl” (2009 Nigeria Entertainment Awards)
* Best R&B Video “Escalade” (2006 Channel O Music Video Awards)
* Best Picture / Musical Video “Escalade” (Awards for Musical excellence in Nigeria (A.M.E.N))
* Best R&B (2009 MTV Music Video Awards)
* Best R&B Song “Escalade” (2007 Awards for Musical excellence in Nigeria (A.M.E.N))
* Best R&B Album “From Me 2 U” (Awards for Musical excellence in Nigeria (A.M.E.N))
* Best Single Recording “Not The Girl” (2009 Hip Hop World Awards)
* Best Vocal Performance – Male “Not The Girl” (2009 Hip Hop World Awards)