Taylor Swift Hits #1 On Hot 100 With ‘Look What You Made Me Do’
Taylor Swift is cementing her ‘Reputation’ as an unstoppable Pop force.
For, the singer has just made a major chart statement with new single ‘Look What You Made Me Do.’
As widely forecast, the lead single from Swift’s upcoming LP has leaped to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 after opening at #77 due to early radio support.
Dethroning ‘Despacito’ in the process, the track powered its way to the top spot on the back of (Stateside) digital sales of 353,000, 84.4 million on-demand streams, and a colossal radio audience of 64 million.
What’s more, peep this summary of its additional slays in context:
- Highest streams this year, and highest for a female since Adele’s ‘Hello’
- 2nd highest weekly streams of all-time, bested only by ‘Harlem Shake.’
- Highest first week sales of 2017.
- 5th biggest leap to #1 of all-time.
- becomes the 13th woman with at least 5 #1’s.
- sees all of her #1’s reach pole position in 4 or fewer chart weeks.
- can boast that the first single of each of her past 3 albums have hit #1.
- earned the first female #1 of the year.
- secured the first female solo #1 since Adele’s ‘Hello’ in 2015.
While there’s a degree of basic that Taylor exudes, there’s nothing basic about her slayage. Quite the contrary.
She’s unlikely to top our list of most captivating performers or celebrities anytime soon. But there’s no denying that the “love/hate” narrative she comes with, plus her unparalleled success, certainly make her intriguing.
Will it all last though?
‘Reputation,’ the album, arrives November 10th – presumably with the answer.